Tuesday, May 6, 2008

funny conversation

Let me just say that America has done a great job of infiltrating the idea that a girl should be married by the time they graduate college. I can't tell you how many times I have been asked why I wasn't married or why I don't have a boyfriend. Kortney and Rylee are infamous for asking me this question. I think their main purpose is to figure out when they get to be in the wedding, but every time I see them they ask me when I'm getting married. One time Rylee's reasoning behind the question was that I was finished with college, so now I must be close to getting married. She then compared me to Leah and said, she is still in school and is getting married, why aren't you. I spared her the "I'm waiting for God to bring me the right person" speech and just said... Leah and I are different! Simple as that. I think they're worried they will be too old to be flower girls! I assured them that I would find a place for them in my wedding.
The children I'm nannying for right now ask me many times when I'm getting married too. One time we were at chick-fil-a and the girls asked me if I had a "boyfriend" and my response was no I don't. Well Sarah was like... do you have a favorite boy that is a friend? I sat thinking for a moment and Cashel looked right at her and said "well that's me, but I'm too young." We all laughed really hard at that one. Yesterday we were driving in the car, and ever since Allston has realized I'm not going to be with her family forever, she has been telling me all the things I will be missing... new van, game room, art room, etc. I keep telling her that I can come back to visit and plan to. She then asks me how old I will be when she is 20. 37 I say and then she is like... well that's not too old. I smiled and thought, I have friends now that are older than that :-). I told her that we could be friends when she was that age and maybe at that time she could babysit my children. Both Allston and Sarah were very excited about that idea. Of course I should have known the question coming next... "When are you going to have a baby?" Well, I need to be married first, and before that I need to have a boyfriend. Sarah: I have never been to a wedding. Allston: me either. Cashel: yeah I haven't either. Me: Well maybe you guys can come to my wedding. Sarah: who is going to be your flower girl? Me: I'm not sure. Maybe you guys can have a special job at my wedding and wear pretty dresses. Girls: Oh yeah, that would be so fun. Cashel: I'll wear my handsome clothes! They were just excited to think they could go to a wedding. And at last today... Cashel asks me if the wedding will be before he is 5 or after he turns 5 (he will be 5 in July). I laugh and say... Cashel I don't even have a boyfriend. It will definitely be after you turn 5. He said "ok Miss Amanda, I was just wondering."
kids are so funny

3 comments:

Brittany said...

I love when kids are cute like this:)

leahjaine said...

i love hearing this. I am sad that you can't just be wonderful and amazing amanda and not have people ask you questions like that. I can understand in some form. I get all weird and sweaty when people ask the baby question. it makes me want to scream. we never did have that phone date..i think that was my bad. when we do...we can have a screaming segment where we talk about things like that and then scream :D

love. you.

leahjaine said...

that all came weird. I loved hearing your perspective, and stories...BUT I am sad....now that should make more sense eh?