Sunday, August 9, 2009

facebook fast and update

so I am addicted to facebook. there it is. I just layed it out there for everyone to know. I can spend countless hours on there chatting, looking at pictures, uploading new pictures, and just checking in on people. my friend list is extensive and sometimes it's the only form of communication I use with quite a few people... sad, i know.  My dear roommate, Laci, has challenged me to fast from using facebook. When she first mentioned the idea I had a mild panic attack. How will I connect with new people from church? How will I know what's going on? How can I see how everyone is doing? Clearly, a little over dramatic. She then said it didn't have to be forever, whew, but still. My reaction really shows how much of myself I invest in an online world.  I do add new people from the church to my friend list and chat with them, but I can do that through email, or better yet, maybe a phone call.  I have allowed myself to become dependent on facebook.  As I write that it seems a bit bizarre, but it's so the truth. I wake up, get ready for work, check facebook. Come home grab my computer, check facebook and spend too much time on there. Have dinner, check facebook, get ready for bed, check facebook... You get the point.  My room is a disaster, I have pictures to edit, I have coffee dates to schedule, a yard that needs tending to, a ministry I'm in charge of that hasn't taken priority.  There are things I need to be doing, but I am not doing them because my time isn't being used wisely.  So goodbye facebook for at least a week. 
Life has been a bit of a whirlwind lately. This summer has flown by. I have met some amazing  people that started coming to Ephesus.  God has blessed me with an insane amount of great friends. Janet and Seth are now married. It's all going well. 
I have been thinking a lot lately about being pure in heart.  Here recently I've become more and more aware of just how ugly my heart is.  Gosh, sometimes my flesh can just start going and going and going and my heart gets so ugly.  I get frustrated and annoyed and just pissed at every little thing.  Then I realize that I am letting my flesh win.  I am reminded daily how much I need a Savior. I cannot imagine my life without Jesus. But so many times I go through life thinking I have it all under control and life is peachy and things are going well and WAM a major "flesh flash" happens and I am like, whoa, that was ugly.  Has that ever happened to you?  I am in desperate need Jesus every single day. Every single moment I am living and have the chance to think.  My flesh gets in the way so many times and I struggle daily to "die to my flesh." What does that even look like? I think it all begins when realizing you are nothing without Jesus.  We have nothing, are nothing, and can be nothing without Him.  He is it.   

2 comments:

Angela said...

check yes, yes, and yes. well stated (all parts). i love and support you in all things. we will have a phone date soon. xo.

Jordan said...

I enjoy your blog entries. I find myself on Facebook way too often myself. I tend to let other things...such as schoolwork and housework...slide a little bit while I'm spending too much time searching around the Facebook. This is a good challenge - to spend time away from Facebook in order to focus on other things in our life that are more important. Thank you!